background

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sewing Machine Pin Cushion

This is a project I made for a quilt guild challenge. We had to draw the name of another quilter and then a slip of paper with a theme on it. Then we had to make something for that person using that theme. I had Mieke and the theme was "ocean". After much agonizing about what to make I came up with this idea. It is a pin cushion for beside your sewing machine. The top has a space (the white strip) for needles as well. Hanging down from it is a row of pockets to hold thread snips, seam ripper, small ruler, bone presser, etc. Also, there is a fabric loop that tucks in but can be used to attach the thread/scrap bag. The thread/scrap bag can also just sit independently. I happen to have some small pieces of fabric that looked a little "oceany" to me. I also used some Heat and Bond to make some pressed on fish and coral appliques in keeping with the ocean theme. Being a card maker I had to make a card to go with and decorate the bag in a matching theme. I just came across this cute set of stamps by StudioG with a fish, crab and coral that worked perfectly for the card. I used some thin cork and tore it to look like sand and had some watery looking paper for the ocean. I then stamped and coloured the sealife with my copics, cut them out and raised them up with pop dots. I don't recommend trying to cut that little crab out - too fussy. I used some more fabric appliques on the bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment